Jesus gives us ‘Storm Warnings.’
Matthew 5:7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
He makes it very clear that we are going to face storms in our lives & in order to Weather the Storms, we must have a good foundation.
The good foundation is found in the ‘Beatitudes.’
* When we are saved, we are not just saved FROM something, we are saved FOR something — to be somebody.
* When we experience the Mercy of God, we automatically become a ‘Merciful Person.’
2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
‘Blessed are the poor in spirit:’ — Bankrupt
Deals with our CONDITION
‘Blessed are they that mourn:’ — Broken
Deals with our CONTRITION
‘Blessed are the meek:’ — Brought under Control
Deals with our CONTROL
‘Blessed are they which do hunger & thirst after righteousness’
Deals with our CONCERN
‘Blessed are the merciful:’
Deals with our COMPASSION
* After a man finds righteousness, then he becomes a ‘Merciful Man’ — for in himself there is no mercy.
– These Beatitudes are in a definite sequence. God is showing us what a person who has been born-again is to be like.
– The Beatitudes are not a map showing us the way to be saved, but a mirror reflecting the character of those who are already saved.
* While the Beatitudes give PRECEPTS for holy Conduct,
they also give PRESCRIPTIONS for true happiness.
* Happiness is that which comes as a result of the Condition of the Inward man, NOT the result of the condition of the outward man.
Come visit us at Crossroads Baptist Church Roxboro, NC